Saturday, June 21, 2008

Some Observations

Hello again, and thanks to all those who have been reading and commenting so far. Lately, since we've had a bit of driving and down time due to some bad weather, I've been doing some reflecting over the last month of traveling through SA. I thought I'd just write a few things about this country that I have found particularly interesting and different and/or similar to the USA.

First, among the many problems facing this country, crime and unemployment are near the top of the list. I don't know the statistics, but a few observations will tell you all you need to know. There are no self service petrol (gas) stations. And if there are 10 pumps at a station, there are probably ten people (so far mostly men--black men) awaiting your arrival. They fill your tank, wash your windows, and check your oil and tires if you want. Then you give them a tip, 2 to 6 Rand usually (about 25-80 cents US). Also, in some places there are no parking meters. Why would you need them when you can gainfully employ 3-5 people per block to walk around (rain or otherwise) with a little electronic meter and collect a very small fee for street parking. And if you exceed the time you paid for when you parked? No need to worry, just pay the difference when you decide to leave.

There are also people who patrol the parking lots to "watch your vehicle" in order to prevent any break ins. You can tell him, "No thank you," if you like. After all, isn't my car just as safe as the one next to it that he IS watching? But that's not the point. Once you're done grocery shopping or whatever you flip him a couple Rand and go on your way. One night in Plettenberg Bay I only had a 5 Rand coin, so I gave it to my "watcher." He must have thought I was some kind of high roller because he stopped traffic on main street to allow me to back out of my parking spot.

Essentially, everywhere you turn there are jobs that require zero skill or labor being done because of the crime and unemployment. It's very interesting indeed.

Secondly, driving. It can be quite an adventure sometimes. I cannot overstate how convenient it has been to have our own car the last three weeks, but it doesn't come without challenges. Signs can be pretty poorly placed, or not there at all. I especially like the ones that tell you to turn right (which is across traffic here) AFTER the intersection! It's tough then because it's not like there are crossroads all over place to turn around--I mostly just make U-turns on the highways. But the the roads offer one of my favorite contradictions in Africa so far. Pretty much everywhere we've been so far the pace of life has been casual at best. Nobody really seems to be in a hurry. Your server at a restaurant, or waitron, doesn't even bring the bill unless you ask for it. Unlike Applebee's where you get the check three bites into your entree so the next family can stand there watching your booth like it's made of mozzarella sticks. But NOT on the highways here in SA. To generalize a little, I'd say, "put a South African behind the wheel and suddenly he's in the biggest hurry of his life."

The speed limit on most of the paved, main two-way highways is 120 km/hr (about 75 mph). Those roads would be 55 max in the states. But speed limits are completely irrelevant anyway. There are photo/radar combos that can take your picture and send you a speeding ticket in the mail, but they are posted so you can slow down if you care. Also, the cops cannot pull you over (because cop cars get hijacked and then the criminal takes your car) so drivers pretty much just drive as fast as they feel like. Therefore, the custom is, if someone pulls up behind you going faster than you are, you drive over onto the shoulder (at 75 mph) so he can pass, like golfing basically, the faster players are allowed through. Then this very polite exchange takes place where the passer flashes his hazards and the passee flashes his bright lights to acknowledge the gesture. It sounds nice, and it is. But still, these people drive like crazy bastards that just committed a capital crime, for the most part.

Finally, since I'm running a little short of Internet time here, is the really cool, relaxed atmosphere of places we've been staying. Whether a run of the mill backpackers hangout or a fancy B&B (we've stayed at two really nice ones), the system astounds me. When you check in, they take your name and maybe your passport number, which are given voluntarily. No ID check, no credit card for incidental charges. You could easily drive away in the morning without paying and they'd have zero chance of catching you. But that's how it's done. Think about trying to check into a Holiday Inn Express at 9:00 PM and saying, "'I'm a little tired, is it OK if we take care of everything in the morning?" That's not out of the ordinary here. It's the norm.

OK, I thought of a few more things on the road I'm sure, but they seem to be eluding me at the moment. I'm sure Kim will write a post soon updating our progress, but for now just be assured that we're safe and having a great time. We'll be meeting up with Kim's family in a few days in Mozambique for a week of SCUBA, fishing, and relaxing. Then it's onward up the east African coast without our own transportation. Should be interesting.

PS. Kim says everyone that comments on this post will get a postcard. (You might need to include your mailing address.) And make sure to check out our pictures HERE.

12 comments:

Brooke said...

Good post. You can send my postcard to:

Brooke and Jed Heubner
P.O. Box 3534
White River 1240
South Africa

Haha!

Jodi Garrity said...

Hi Guys!! I love reading your blog. I'm so glad that you are having a great time. Have a wonderful time with your family!

Love,
Jodi

Andrea said...

Hey kiddos. I love reading about your travels so far! Mike, isn't it so disorienting but fun to notice all those differences? I love trying to figure out why they're there and which one fits me better. So far I think America might be one of the worst-suited countries for my personality...:)

Anyway, I was at Perch Lake for the weekend Kimmy and saw Kim Grillo's new baby girl--so tiny and cute! Be safe and have fun!
Love,
Andrea

Jenna said...

I really like reading the observations, you should do it for every country! i'm betting it'll only get crazier. love the pictures!

Rexy said...

it sounds like you are really taking in everything this trip has to offer! It's interesting to hear all of the differences you are observing, and your descriptions make us feel like we are traveling beside you! Stay safe and have fun!!

Rex

Auntie Judy said...

Dear Mike and Kim,

It has been amazing reading all about your journey! I really love it. Hope you are having fun!
If you feel up to it, you can send the postcard to:
Rex and Judy Minke.
209 SW 2nd Ave.
Milltown, WI 54858-0902

Love, your cousin,
Amanda M.

D'Amico Catering said...

hi kim!

i love reading about your adventure! My little cousin just landed in durban this week to study at Howard University... probably not close to you at all, but i still thought i'd share :)

do you think you'll make it to Armenia? Just let me know and we'll hook you up with a place to stay!

love, jesswa

Jili said...

Hi Guys,
I miss you so much. Got your poscard this AM and loved it. Kim, nice baby name, but Im sure it will be a girl, and my step sister has a son Wyatt. Great pics. I get so jealous. I feel I should be standing next to you, but yet again, I am nocked up while you travel the world. I'm starting to feel better - kindof. Due date is Jan 1st, but will get induced before Christmas. Rian is happy we can claim the baby for this year's taxes. Wo Hoo.
Love you guys.

Michelle M said...

I love reading your blog because it reminds me so much of all of the things I experienced while in S.A. But you forgot to mention one awesome thing about the roads there. The almost constant presence of cattle and other livestock just wandering around on the side of the road (and A LOT of times, in the middle of the road) like they are wild animals. The cows in South Africa and like deer in Minnesota, except that the cows don't dart out in front of your car.

Auntie Connie said...

Michael, thank you for the take on the culture and the people you have come into contact so far. I am interested to hear what you think would be the most beneficial aid/assistance to what that region is suffering from. News from the homefront...Grandma Rosies birthday party is coming along and will be an Italian/Snow White theme. (too hard for 7 of us to agree on 1!) Auntie Liz has moved to Eau Claire, all Aunts/Uncles/Cousins are doing great and Zach enjoyed his 2 weeks in N.M. working on constructing the Mexico border. Love to you both! Paul & Connie Wroblewski - P.O. Box 216 - La Pointe, WI 54850

bigtint said...

Sounds like you two are having quite an amazing experience! Hope that the rest of your travels are just as enlightening. :)
Millwagon, your presence was deeply missed at the class reunion, but we had a Rudi's Sub in your honor...
Tint

Unknown said...

Roomsickle and Mike!! I LOVE reading about your adventures. You describe your surroundings and what you are experiencing emotionally so well! Thanks for helping us live vicariously through your eyes :) I'm looking forward to receiving my postcard at:
Megan Steiner
12/54 Campbell Parade
Bondi Beach, NSW 2026
Australia