Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Maybe L. Ron Had Something After All

I have recently finished reading "Dianetics" (I know it should be underlined Mr. Bergan but I couldn't figure out how to make it work) by L. Ron Hubbard. It's the book that started him on his path towards writing the foundations for the Church of Scientology. The basic premise is that people behave irrationally because they have "engrams." These are imprinted in your brain during times of injury or unconsciousness. When restimulated they cause irrational behavior and many types of physical illnesses. For example, if you received a concussion and while you were more or less unconscious somebody said, "I'll take care of you," that's an engram. When properly restimulated by events or people similar to those involved in the concussion incident, you might have migraine headaches. If a person undergoes Dianetic Therapy, now mostly at Scientology Churches, he can be cleared of his engrams, and therefore function at a much higher mental level, complete with full perceptive recall of all moments of one's life. It gets a lot crazier if you read more about his later works that lay out the premises of Scientology (mostly about aliens and the beginning of the universe). So, it was an interesting read, but of course I dismissed most of it as just another get-rich-quick self-help scam.

Kim at Fischer's Tower

Trying to decide which path to take

A View of Lake Naivasha from above Hell's Gate National Park

However, after a day of cycling through Hell's Gate National Park, I'm beginning to wonder if L. Ron had something after all. You see, I've never really seen Kim get nervous about physical danger before, and I certainly didn't think that riding a mountain bike would qualify as dangerous. She wasn't nervous about white water rafting, and I know she has been bungee jumping and sky diving among other things adrenaline related. But after a seriously difficult climb to about the highest point in the park, which included several instances of pushing the bikes up the hill, we started our descent. It was at this point I saw the look in her eyes that I'd never seen before. She looked terrified of going too fast down the rocky path! There was some danger involved here, losing control and flying off the cliff for example, but nothing to justify that look. Hmm???
Scaring away some zebras

Admiring the gazelles

Thirsty giraffes

It turns out that at six years of age she had a bicycle accident that resulted in the loss of four teeth. That got me thinking, "Engrams!" What else could cause that "irrational" fear of falling to her death? Maybe I'll read another of Hubbard's books, but I'm not quite ready to start her into Dianetic Therapy just yet!

The result of a 35km bike ride!

9 comments:

Brooke said...

My favorite post of all! (That might have something to do with the fact that I'm checking my email in a new internet cafe with LIGHTENING fast internet and huge screens so I can see every detail in the photos. But either way, great post.) I miss you guys.

Unknown said...

Hi, just stumbled upon you post by Googling Scientology. You write very well. I don't think (hope) you are too serious about continuing Scientology books/courses, but there is a very moving and telling story of an ex-member at counterfeitdreams.blogspot.com.

It's an interesting read, but I do promise you that after reading it, you won't touch Scientology with a ten feet pole anymore....

Cheers.

fannie5882 said...

Hi Guys!
I am still not believing that Kimmers was actually affraid of biking, after seeing the pictures of this death-defying rappel!! Jaiks, you guys are a brave bunch, your pics are amazing! Make sure to not convince Mike of anything too crazy Kim, I'd like to see you both again :D

LaTendresse said...

I think its encouraging to the rest of us to think that Kim would have second thoughts about trying or doing anything! We were just thinking that its been almost a year since you came to visit us -- we miss you guys! Thanks for taking on this great adventure so that we can travel Africa through your blog.

Kim said...

It was very diplomatic of you not to mention my fall. I'm shocked really!

Momma said...

I recall that the scariest thing Kim did during her first trip to South Africa was riding a burro down a mountain. Maybe the fear isn't restricted to bikes. I will never forget the day she knocked out those teeth. It is embedded in my memory too. Maybe we could find a way to purge both of our memories of that incident. Momma

Jilly said...

Mike, I know you meant to dedicate that post to me, since I got you thinking about Tom and his awesome religion. Remember Kim, we were talking on your porch in Meghan's white rocking chairs about scientology, and mike was watching some kind of sport in the living room, with the window open, chiming in about the facts of scientology/alian stuff. That was fun.

Jilly said...

Mike, I know you meant to dedicate that post to me, since I got you thinking about Tom and his awesome religion. Remember Kim, we were talking on your porch in Meghan's white rocking chairs about scientology, and mike was watching some kind of sport in the living room, with the window open, chiming in about the facts of scientology/alian stuff. That was fun.

Jilly said...

I never know how to post right and end up doing it twice.