Monday, February 2, 2009

Slovenia...Who could want to leave?

A few months ago in Uganda, we hung out with a couple of Slovenians. Mateja gave us her email, so last week when we were in Hungary we let her know we'd be in town. She emailed back and invited us to stay at her house! In Slovenia (and lots of other places we've been) it's not uncommon for kids to never move away from home. Often a floor is added to the house or a new home is built next door. So we got to stay with Mateja and her parents.
We arrived in the capital Ljubljana at about 9p.m., and we were starving. After 12 hours of travel with no food and almost missing our train out of Budapest we thought we would grab a bite from McDonald's before Mateja got there. Luckily she was already waiting for us because her mom had dinner ready for us. And we have had more delicious home cooked meals for the last four days. The biggest meal of the day is lunch, usually eaten at about 3p.m. We've had chicken, beef, pork, blood sausage, leek soup all prepared from fresh veggies from their garden. But on our last night we had a real treat. Mateja's mom taught me how to make potica! I didn't even realize potica is Slovenian!
On our first day here we toured Škocjanske Caves. We weren't allowed to take pictures but just imagine Lord of the Rings. We were both waiting for Golem to creep up behind us. After that we went to Sodražica, where my great-grandfather Perushek's immigration papers say he emigrated from. It felt strange to drive around town and think about him living here. I studdied everyone's faces trying to decide if they looked like anyone in my family. Then we stopped at a restaurant, and after we finished, Mateja asked the two people in the restaurant if they kenw any Perusheks in the village. This guy said his grandmother had been a Perushek before she got married!
If I had known more information, we could have dug a little deeper, but all I knew was his name. Should have been a better listener. Sorry Gram! Here are some more picture from the last few days.
My cold limited us in Hungary, but the baths with healing waters from natural hot springs in Budapest were a huge help.Wish I had more time to blog, but the internet in Venice isn't cheap (and there is too much to see)! Miss you all!

8 comments:

Brooke said...

That potica made me drool, especially because Mom and Gram sent me some in December that we just got in the mail last week, and it was too moldy too eat...even waaay on the inside. It was like torture!!!

Andrea said...

oh my, you HAVE to make me some authentic potica when you get home! (non rangers are totally reading this going what in the world is potica?). beautiful photography!

LaTendresse said...

I work with a guy from New Mexico whose mom makes me potica every Christmas. It is like a little tast of MN each year -- I hope it was the same for you. My best memories of Italy are of the amazing (and cheap) wine and food -- hope you find your fill!

Jilly said...

Hi guys! Looks amazing! I love the pic of the boat on the lake with snow/frost... amazing.
Kim, I talked to your mom today! She gets to hug up Kael again on Sat at the St Vincent's gala.
Did I mention I miss you lately??

Jilly said...

Kael smells so good!

Jilly said...

Oh my God, I totally forgot to tell you...
Emma is FINALLY POOPING ON THE POTTY!
She kept saying "when Im four, Mom..."
Then she turned four and said "when the snow melts, Mom..."
What?????
Finally I told her she would not be able to come to Arizona with us if she didn't poop on the potty. She could stay with the dogs in the kennels - I reminded her they are heated kennels...
Good thing she didn't call my bluff!
I'll get her into counseling when she's older...

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,
Megan sent me your blog address. We think it is so cool that you are seeing the world. What an absolutely fantastic thing for you guys to do. Your generation is so much wiser than ours, doing these things when you are young and unencumbered. Enjoy! Bill Steiner

Rexy said...

I don't know what I enjoy more, your posts or Jill's comments!!! The pictures are gorgeous. I expect to see some in person when you return!! Keep having fun:) It's raining here and is supposed to get pretty nasty. We're planning a trip to Vegas in March, that is our getaway this year-without kids:) Happy trails...