Monday, November 10, 2008

Luxor

Three days ago we cruised up the Nile on a ship to Luxor. It's quite a place. As you walk down the street you have to simultaneously dodge and refuse rides from horse drawn carriages and blue and white taxis. The 3000 plus year old magnificent Luxor Temple is right in the heart of town, and McDonald's--which sells the tasty McArabia--is literally across the street. We've decided all of the western restaurants charge too much for food that's mediocre at best, while the local food is unbelievably cheap yet fantastic. Today we slept in late and had a schwerma and felafel on our way to the museum. We wandered around the market for a while, enjoyed a fruit cocktail with pomegranate, banana, guava, apple, and orange juice, and had koshary for dinner. Then we went to a rooftop cafe overlooking the Temple and River for coffee, sheesha, and a beautiful sunset. Luxor TempelView from the cafeBeautiful sunset

Entrance to the market Yes we know how lucky we are!

p.s. Kudos to Brooke for all the comments she posts. Sandy and Andrea get honorable mention. The rest of you should step it up! We miss you, and it means a lot to hear from you!

6 comments:

Andrea said...

Yes...honorable mention! I miss you guys and love the updates. Brianna is crawling...yikes!

Auntie Connie said...

Ok...so Paul wants to know "How did they make the pyramids"...LOL. You guys look like life is going well and have created many memories. I still am most excited to speak with you more about your visit with the husband and his 3 + wives. We are dealing with temperatures that are dipping in the 20's however Lake Superior is at it's most beautiful when the days are crisp..the joy of living on an island. Love to all!

Brooke said...

1st place...woohoo! I request that you tell them more about koshari...yum!...it's one of very few dishes that's truly "Egyptian" from what I've heard...a picture would be nice too.

Rexy said...

Wow, I love reading all of your posts! It is fun to read about your travels and learn about the cultures that you have been experiencing! What an experience! Thank you for sharing it with us:) Stay safe!!

Mike said...

I would like to thank my mom for commenting on my post even though Kim had posted another one. She likes to post right after me--that way she can say, "Look at all the comments I get compared to you!" Very sneaky.

Unknown said...

Roomsickle and Mike!! I'm sorry I don't make many comments on your adventures...but know that I check your blog often and LOVE reading about what you have experienced and really enjoy your pictures. You both describe your experiences so well and I look forward to seeing new posts on your blog. What are your plans now....where are you off to next??? I miss you both and can't wait to hear about your next adventure! PS I tried texting you last week but I don't know if it worked. Holla at ya girl :) Love you! Roomsickle