Monday, November 17, 2008

Scuba Duba Doo!





First off, Michael gets credit for the blog title. I asked him for something clever and that's what I got. We're now certified Advanced Divers!! Whoo hoo! For the lay person this means that I can use a compass to swim in a square while 45 feet under water, I have felt the drunken feeling caused by too much Nitrogen in the blood (110 feet under), and I have been doing homework for the last three nights. The diving here is fantastic. Today we did one called "The Blue Hole." We started by entering the water and dropping almost vertically through "the bells." It's called "the bells" because it's a passage so narrow that your air tank will probably hit the rocky walls and make a sound like a bell. When you 've made it down about 100 ft you have to remember to add air to your BCD (buoyancy control device) because the bottom is still nowhere in sight. You swim along a wall of coral reef with countless colors and spectacular fish ascending slowly along the way. Finally you swim over the top of the coral reef, and you're inside a giant cylinder of coral 200 feet across and 400 feet deep. Around the edges are more fish, shrimp, starfish, and divers, but when you swim across the middle, you lose sight of everything. It's just an abyss. I love it here! Dahab is a really chilled out place. All of the restaurants serve seafood, pizza, pasta, and hummus. Most of them have "bedouin style" seating--giant pillows on the floor--instead of chairs, and are right on the water. And everyone who comes here wants nothing more than diving and beer. I can hardly wait to dive tomorrow!
p.s. On our last day in Luxor we went to the West Bank. There are hundreds of tombs there at the Valley of the Kings, Valley of the Queens, Tombs of the Nobles, and in the artist's village--Patty this was before your warning. You're not allowed to take photos, but for a little baksheesh, this guy didn't have a problem with one measly picture. This is the tomb of Joe Schmo...you can imagine what the pharoah's tombs were like!

12 comments:

Bular said...

Kim and Mike,

I have been keeping up with your travels and I am more jealous than I can put into words. Every place you go seems so amazing, and I'm so happy that you two were able to make this trip!! Keep having a great time and letting us know all about it :)

LaTendresse said...

I felt the walls closing in around me just reading about your dive. I think I would just stick to the beer and skip the diving. I think this post totally confirms Kim's fearless nature despite having issues biking down hill:) -- Beth

sandyrohwer said...

O.K. now the two of you have put me right over the edge. Fear of small spaces and fear of water, so you can imagine that you have managed to put your Mother into panic mode! Go back to smoking the pipes and I won't even ask what you are smoking!

Andrea said...

Just in case you were wondering, it's fricking cold here. Poo. Miss ya!

Rexy said...

Wow! Your description of your scuba experience confirms my fear of water and claustrophobia! Great details! I can't imagine the beauty and serenity so far under water. I agree that the free beer was a great perk! You two look like you are having the time of your life, thanks for letting me share it with you!! I love checking in and seeing your posts, even if I'm not good at responding all the time:)

Stay safe, Rexy

Auntie Debbie said...

Hi Scooba and Do! Thanks for the wonderful pictures and stories!! What a great way to take a lunch break at work and "escape" to other parts of the world! Kim, I vividly recall the day your face collided with the gravel on Malmquist Road, so I can understand the look that Mike saw on your face on that climb. Continue to have fun, stay healthy, and take care of each other!

Momma said...

Why does this have to say MOMMA!

Dad said...

Congratulations Advanced Divers!

Now you've really touched a jealous nerve! I really, really wish I could have done that dive with you. Sounds fantastic!
BTW, Remember - way back - when good ol' Dad took you to Disney World? Well..I think I know where I want you to take ME!

Uncle John said...

If you hurry and get to Tanzania, you can watch Ann Coulter from the Today Show die as she tries climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro.

Uncle John

Jenna said...

oh the diving sounds amazing! did you get to take any underwater pictures? I'd love to see them. What were your favorite fish? Excellent post title, mike. I laughed.

Momma said...

Remember how you've been trying to get me to scuba dive? This blog entry did not get me any closer. Kim, you are not a fish. No more nitrogen drunks. You are crazy enough already. BTW, "the bends" are a lot like heroin withdrawl they say so be careful. Mike, I'm counting on you!!!

Strauss said...

Mills/Mills'et

I've been watching this Blog thing'a'ma'jig since I had the pleasure of your attendance at the wedding. I must say... WOW'ski.

Got your post card in the mail, oh about a month ago. I looked at it all suspicious like, thinking, wow, some company is trying really hard for me to open and read their next scam in junk mail. Totally surprised to find is was a genuine (made from banana leafs) letter from you crazy kids.

Looks like in your latest pictures that you've stepped it up a notch and taking in even more incredible views and experiences. Right on!

Ski season officially starts here this weekend. I noticed your still in beach mode. not sure who wins there but i like it.

Cool well....


Cops are here...got to go!

Strauss

Brooke said...

Kim looks so cute in her scuba get up! I love that picture. I miss you both terrible. I really enjoy reading your blog. Mike i never expected it out of you... your crazy! I would never have the guts to do what you two have done so far, i can only imagine what is to come! I see your having fun as I'm curled up in a ball freezing in minnesota! love you both!! miss you

~michaels favorite sister!!