Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Ukraine is Weak

It's not weak actually, but my friends would never forgive me for doing a blog post about Ukraine and titling it otherwise. I thought of giving it a title of "Jackets with the Fur" (sung to the tune of the Flo-rida song) because the first thing that struck us was the incredible quantity of fur jackets. They were everywhere! Kim and I counted from a coffee shop one day, and 46 of the fifty women in the study had at least some fur on their coat! Many of them had the simple ring of fur around the hood, but there were plenty of full-on fur coats--animal heads and all!

Bird's-eye view of Kiev

62 meters of Titanium

Typical cathedral in Kiev

Inside a churh on Orthodox Chrismas

Trying to stand on a "handicapped accesible ramp"

We arrived in Kiev via a thirty-hour train ride from Bucharest. It was not a typical train ride. We had travelled to the border, about one-third of the geographical distance, in only eight hours. At that point we wondered how the last leg of the journey could take so long. I cannot be exactly sure of what happened at the border, but I think it went something like this. They disconnected our train cars from the engine to turn the train down a different track, only they forgot to set the brakes, and we were on a hill. After what seemed like about twenty minor collisions with trackside equipment--just little jolts, enough to spill your coffee--we had "the big one." Kim even made a squeal, "EEEK!" After a little investigation I concluded that we had collided with another set of train cars that were now drifting freely down the track ahead of us! After this, perfectly sterotypical Ukrainian men--tall, stubbly grey beards, blue eyes, big cylindrical fur hats--came through the car with hammers and miscellaneous metal parts and started pounding things into place. Three hours and forty minutes later we left the border town, assuming we would be at least three hour late to Kiev, yet we arrived on-time the next morning. Is it possible that they planned a minor collision into the schedule?

Rubbing a nose for good luck

Carolers

Begging for change is no reason to lose your fashion sense, look at those heels!

The Chernobyl museum

We visited some beautiful Orthodox cathedrals, went underground to see some mummified monks, and ate our fill of dumplings and borscht. But I am particularly proud of learning the Cryllic alphabet--the one the Russians use. Our maps have streets labeled in English, but the local street signs are all Cryllic. After the week in Ukraine I was able to read most of signs, but had no idea what the words meant! We had many fun conversations on the street like these:

Me: We need to turn left on Rustavelli street.
Kim: What does that look like?
Me: 'p' 'y' 'c' 't' 'a' 'b' 'e' 'sqaured-off-n,' backwards 'n.'

Or,

Me: It's on Doroshenka.
Kim: How does it start?
Me: Trapezoid with legs, 'o' 'p' 'o' 'w.'

Now it's off to Poland and all those tasty sausages!

Strays in Lviv

Enjoying some borscht

6 comments:

Andrea said...

Yay, pictures and an update! Mike reading Kim the alphabet...quite funny! It looks cold there. As it is here, I kind of want a big fur coat, too.

Jilly said...

Im pretty sure that ramp is not up to code... way too steep! but obviously they have different codes across the world!

Kim, if I was with you, I dont think we would figure out the alphabet. But we would steal some pop from the train - and get some free food... at least eat someones completely good leftovers!

I can type and nurse at the same time!

Brooke said...

This is my new favorite blog post. Because it made me laugh out loud. How was the hockey game? Oh wait, Mike wanted to see the operetta instead, I forgot. Hm.

Mike said...

The hockey game didn't happen, it was out of town. So I settled for the operetta, which was great.

LaTendresse said...

I remember being amazed by the number of fur coats in Rome when I was there. I even joined in before I left -- buying a leather coat with a (detachable) fur collar. I wore it out the first New Years we were in Seattle and had to dodge people with spray paint all evening -- now it just sits in the closet. Moral of the story, Mike don't buy a fur coat and hat even if it seems like the right thing to do at the time.

Rheba said...

Kim,

You are accomplishing a dream, young lady! I'm glad you've been safe and your pictures show the pure enjoyment that you've been having. Remember, this ol' woman is living through you!

Ready to return to work? We do have a Director's position open!